[scponly] Close to all functionality with Solaris 9 Sparc and OpenSSH

Sven Hoexter sven at timegate.de
Mon Sep 15 21:36:06 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 03:11:41PM +0200, Roland Lammel wrote:
> Sven Hoexter wrote:
> >On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 08:55:03AM +0200, Roland Lammel wrote:

Hi Roland,

> >IIRC I posted a few "mindnotes" to the list about a genric way to deal with
> >this problem. Read the list archiv.
>
> I found the post, and maybe the best approach is to have one generic
> setup_chroot.sh which calls another platform specific shell script (or
> program) which builds the list of the libs/binaries needed.
>
> Which can also be easily altered to fit specific needs.
>
> So basically we would have
> setup_chroot.sh
> arch/sun-sparc-SunOS-5.8/find_libs.sh
> arch/hp-hppa1.1-HPUX-10.20/find_libs.sh
>
> If it's just the one script it's probably easier to call it just
> find_libs_sol8-sparc.sh
Ok this aproach looks promising. A better alternative for ASCII tables ;)

> That would allow people on the list to submit a dedicated script for their
> platform and
> you could add it to the distribution without having to worry about your the
> primary target platform.
Jupp we just need some magic to detect the operating system or we use some
kind of menu to list all supported systems and hand the choice over to the
user to try one that might fit.

> >>as solaris is also a quite standard platform in coporate
> >>environments.
> >
> >Slowlaris sucks! Axa is on their way to replace all SUN boxes with
> >Mainframes
> >from big blue running Linux within the next two or three years.
>
> Judging from what we sell to our customers here, Sun and HP for larger
> server are the clear winners.
Hrhr time to rescue your customers from another evil empire ;P
Ok just kidding, don't take me serious when it comes to the
"old irons" and their original operating systems. IMHO Irix is the only
commercial Unix that is useable from user and admin view but it's just
my personal opinion after I had to work with Slowlaris for three years.
The mailserver responsible for timegate.de is powered by Solaris 8 :)

> Noone wants to pay a whole mainframe just to add a service to the network
> ;-)
Looks like a nice and warm place for a small x86 box running Linux when the
task is too small or "unimportant" for a mainframe ;)

Have fun,
Sven
--
http://www.comboguano.de