[scponly] Close to all functionality with Solaris 9 Sparc and OpenSSH

Roland Lammel roland.lammel at kapsch.net
Mon Sep 15 16:11:41 EDT 2003

Sven Hoexter wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 08:55:03AM +0200, Roland Lammel wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

>>I had to make similar changes (I just remembered as a read your lines), so
>>it might be usefull to update the scripts in the tarball and release a new
>>package,
 >
> The script is focused on FreeBSD. You've to include a modified version of the
> script for every OS/Distritbution what ever you can think of.
> IIRC I posted a few "mindnotes" to the list about a genric way to deal with
> this problem. Read the list archiv.

I found the post, and maybe the best approach is to have one generic setup_chroot.sh which calls another platform
specific shell script (or program) which builds the list of the libs/binaries needed.

Which can also be easily altered to fit specific needs.

So basically we would have
setup_chroot.sh
arch/sun-sparc-SunOS-5.8/find_libs.sh
arch/hp-hppa1.1-HPUX-10.20/find_libs.sh

If it's just the one script it's probably easier to call it just find_libs_sol8-sparc.sh

That would allow people on the list to submit a dedicated script for their platform and
you could add it to the distribution without having to worry about your the primary target platform.

It may be necessary to provide more the just a list of variables, but that could be done by
defining which variables have to be set and which could be overwritten by the script.

>>as solaris is also a quite standard platform in coporate
>>environments.
>
> Slowlaris sucks! Axa is on their way to replace all SUN boxes with Mainframes
> from big blue running Linux within the next two or three years.

Judging from what we sell to our customers here, Sun and HP for larger server are the clear winners.
Noone wants to pay a whole mainframe just to add a service to the network ;-)

>>Is the author still on the list? ;-)
>
> Jupp Joe is on the list :)
>
> Sven

Just my EUR 0.02