[scponly] chroot question

nightowl nightowl at uk2.net
Thu Sep 11 12:00:45 EDT 2003

Thank you for your reply. However, I had read an read again and again
the manual (INSTALL file in the downloaded package). I find it quite
crapy.

I'm trying to install the script on Linux RH8.0.

First of all, when I followed the manual, I had done 'useradd' before
I ran 'make jail'. Resulted in an error. Removed the user made with
useradd and ran 'make jail' again. Nowhere in the docs I could find
the script setup_chroot.sh, but I discovered that was the script
called by make jail.

Next, I got the same "You need the program useradd...". Since I had
that, I just commented out the check. The patch I saw yesterday on
this list patches only the .in version of setup... which does not work
since all those variables pointing to the various programs are not
defined on my box.

Now, with the check commented out, it seemed to work.
Only, I get ...
/usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/home/mytestuser//datafiles//lib/i686/libc.so.6': No such file or directory
/usr/bin/install: cannot stat `/lib/ld.so': No such file or directory

locate libc.so.6 gave pointed me to /lib/libc.so.6, so I copied that
one too to the chroot dir. However, locate does not find 'ld.so' ...
and I'm stuck 'cause it keeps returning ...

# scp INSTALL mytestuser at localhost:
mytestuser at localhost's password: ***
lost connection

Same thing, but with the debuglevel (nowhere to be found in the
manual) on 10 ...

[root at morgaine scponly-3.8]# scp INSTALL mytestuser at localhost:
mytestuser at localhost's password:
[3024]: chrooted binary in place, will chroot()
[3024]: 3 arguments in total.
[3024]:         arg 0 is scponlyc
[3024]:         arg 1 is -c
[3024]:         arg 2 is scp -t .
[3024]: opened log at LOG_AUTHPRIV, opts 0x00000029
[3024]: retrieved home directory of "/home/mytestuser//datafiles" for
user "mytestuser"
[3024]: chrooting to dir: "/home/mytestuser"
[3024]: setting uid to 507
[3024]: processing request: "scp -t ."
[3024]: running: /usr/bin/scp -t . (username: mytestuser(507), IP/port: 127.0.0.1 58257 22)
[3024]: failed: /usr/bin/scp -t . with error No such file or
directory(2) (username: mytestuser(507), IP/port: 127.0.0.1 58257 22)
lost connection

what's wrong ?