[scponly] Re: scponly debian package.

Thomas Wana thomas at wana.at
Thu Oct 23 22:02:58 EDT 2003

Hi Philip!

On Thursday 23 October 2003 20:18, you wrote:
> Hello Thomas!
>
> I've been trying to set up an chrooted sftp-server using the scponly
> package. At first it didn't work and I found out I needed to have
> certain things in the chrooted environment which the setup_chroot.sh
> script. This is not included in the debian package, so there are no
> means at my disposal for setting up a chroot jail except downloading the
> sources.
>
> Would you consider including this script in the debian package or some
> other method and/or documentation on how to do it?

Hmm yes this is actually a bug in the package and there is
also a Debian bug number assigned for it (#212769). The
problem is, that the original scponly author only provided
the script for FreeBSD (IIRC) and it doesn't work for Debian.

I would need someone to port the script to Debian to include
it in the package. This issue also pops up every now and then
on the scponly mailing list, but upstream seems to be really
lazy about that (perhaps he isn't using any Linux at all).
Perhaps I find the time to do it on my own, but the chances
are rather slim, got a lot of work to do for my studies :-(

If you need the script I'd like to redirect you to the
scponly mailing list archives (can be found from the scponly
homepage) and search there. There are some scripts posted
there (or at least some links) but they are by no means
perfect and don't have the quality to be included in the
package; they are hacks.

HTH,
   Tom