[scponly] setup_chroot.sh

wby oblyr joe at sublimation.org
Wed Nov 19 16:12:22 EST 2003

well, as many of you know, setup_chroot.sh and setup_chroot.sh.in has been one of the most problematic aspects of scponly
installation.  a generic script to create chrooted jails just isnt as easy as one might hope.  i've done some initial
overhauling, and as per Sven's suggestion, come up with a framework for a more extensible installation script.

the first part of the setup_chroot script is intended just to figure things out, without making any changes. it looks like
this:
 - probe the filesystem for the locations of binaries
 - probe the filesystem for the locations of libraries required by the binaries
 - ask the user a couple of questions about their preferences
 - check for the existence of an OS specific presetup script in the build_extras/arch directory

the idea here is that the generic case (setup_chroot.sh) will take a best guess approach, but any customizations required
for the various platforms can be located in a seperate file.

the pathname of this file will be "build_extras/arch/`uname -sr`.pre.sh"

the second part of the installation script actually makes the changes, as follows:
 - install directories
 - install binaries
 - install libraries
 - check for the existence of a postsetup script in the build_extras/arch directory

the pathname of this file will be "build_extras/arch/`uname -sr`.post.sh"

so for example, additional things required for redhat, debian, irix, solaris, etc etc ad nauseum can be located in seperate
files.

it is my hope that people will contribute these presetup and postsetup scripts to me via email, so that i can add them to the
arch directory.

let me know if you see any problems with this idea.  incidentally, i think it initially came from Roland Lammel.

thanks,
joe

--
----

PGP KEY: http://www.sublimation.org/contact.html
PGP Key fingerprint = EC4B 0DA5 B4F6 BDDD 9176 55D6 3A6A 7D63 158F 22D2