[scponly] RE: scponly - openssh symlinks..

wbr oblyr joe at sublimation.org
Sun Mar 30 16:57:40 EST 2003

Hello Sylvain,

If I am understanding you correctly, I think i can help with some more
information.  There are two things to note about using chroot for non-home
directory installations:

1) you can set a user's home directory to something other than /home/foo.
you can set it to be whatever you like, on whichever filesystem you want.
(you probably knew this already.)

2) in conjunction with #1, there is another feature of setting a user's
home directory, specific to scponly.  you can specify the home directory
as follows:

/bigdisk//guest/

(or whatever)

the // is a token that marks the division between the chroot dir
specification and the directory within the chroot to chdir to after login.

so, in the example scponly would:
	- chroot to /bigdisk (which contains .ssh)
	- chdir to guest, which contains the files you want to share

in this way, users can be automatically chdir'ed into a directory they can
write too.

i hope this helps,
joe

ps - thanks to Stefan Sami-Soueiha <stefan.sami at gmx.de> for his patch that
does this feature.

----

PGP KEY: http://www.sublimation.org/contact.html
PGP Key fingerprint = EC4B 0DA5 B4F6 BDDD 9176 55D6 3A6A 7D63 158F 22D2