[scponly] setup_chroot.sh and OpenBSD 3.3

Robert Keyes rkeyes at rics.bwh.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 17 17:47:12 EDT 2003

Thanks for such a wonderful utility. This functionality should really be
included in OpenSSH.

I am setting up an sftp / scp server with OpenBSD 3.3. The idea is that
users don't even get to know each other exist. So they will be very
chrooted.

Has anyone else modified the setup_root.sh script so that it is
compatible with OpenBSD? Here's some of the things I have noted:

- openbsd has useradd, but it is not the same one as linux. The test for
useradd fails for some reason. The syntax for the pw command seems to be
the one that would fit, but changing the -d to -b.

I get the error that /home/dummy/incoming/sbin/chown doesn't exist. I
notice that /home/dummy/incoming/sbin doesn't exist, so I create it and
rerun setup_chroot.sh and get by this hurdle.

line 155 has useradd -n. I don't see an equivalent option in OpenBSD
useradd. I think it would have to be done with a separate command.

After those changes I got through the script without a failure, but now
I have /home/dummy/incoming/incoming -- huh I guess I am
misunderstanding configuration question about the home directory.