[scponly] scponly problem with new rsync?

wby oblyr joe at sublimation.org
Mon Dec 8 10:16:56 EST 2003

i believe the rsync vulnerability affects only the rsync daemon.  i will try to
determine what changes would affect scponly's invocation of rsync...

joe

Erik Kangas wrote
this message on Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 09:25 -0500: >
> Hello
>
> We have just updated our systems with the new rsync rpm to fix the new
> vulnerability.  We are running on RedHat ES 2.1.
>
> Since the rpm update to rsync, rsync does not seem to be compatible with
> the scp-only shell anymore -- I have to actually give a "real" shell
> before rsync will work correctly.  Nothing else has changed.
>
> For example, even this simple rsync, which used to work fine and which
> does work fine if I change the shell of "webmaster" from "scponly" to
> "tcsh" or something, fails:
>
> %>/usr/bin/rsync -e '/usr/bin/ssh -i
> /usr1/homes/kangas/.ssh/id-webmaster' install.pl  webmaster at rs4:/tmp
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)
>
> Thank you,
>
> -Erik Kangas
>
> --
>
> Erik Kangas, Ph.D. --- President of Lux Scientiae, Incorporated
>
> Lux Scientiae:       1-800-441-6612        46 Central Street
> FAX:                 1-413-332-0598        Somerville, Massachusetts
> Cell:                1-617-596-9558        02143, United States of America
> AIM/ICQ/Yahoo Chat:  Screen Name "luxsci"
>
> kangas at luxsci.com  ---  http://luxsci.com

----

PGP KEY: http://www.sublimation.org/contact.html
PGP Key fingerprint = EC4B 0DA5 B4F6 BDDD 9176 55D6 3A6A 7D63 158F 22D2