[PRL] PLDI Practice Talk 2, TODAY, 4:30pm in 366

William J. Bowman wilbowma at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Jun 8 09:33:22 EDT 2015

Sorry for the short notice, but I wasn't sure I would actually have
everything rewritten by today.

In light of the short notice, the late time slot, and the busy day, I
don't expect everyone to attend, but I appreciate those who can come and
give feedback.

Profile-Guided Meta-Programming

Abstract:
Contemporary compiler systems such as GCC, .NET, and LLVM incorporate
profile-guided optimizations (PGOs) on low-level intermediate code and
basic blocks, with impressive results over purely static heuristics.
Recent work shows that profile information is also useful for performing
source-to-source optimizations via meta-programming.
For example, using profiling information to inform decisions about data
structures and algorithms can potentially lead to asymptotic
improvements in performance.

We present a design for profile-guided meta-programming in a
general-purpose meta-programming system.
Our design is parametric over the particular profiler and
meta-programming system.
We implement this design in two different meta-programming systems---the
syntactic extensions systems of Chez Scheme and Racket---and provide
several profile-guided meta-programs as usability case studies.

--
William J. Bowman

Northeastern University
College of Computer and Information Science