[PRL] Several items from today's Faculty Meeting relevant to PhD students

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Dec 12 13:53:49 EST 2014

Hi all,

There were several items from today's faculty meeting that are relevant for
PhD students:

1.  CCIS Holiday Party, Mon 12/15.  They really want PhD students to
attend.  Incentive: alcohol will be served.  Please rsvp to Jessica so
there will be enough food (and drink).

2.  We now have standard time slots for faculty hiring talks, starting in
January: TWF 1145-125; Th 250-430.   Please try to keep those time slots
clear so that you can come to the hiring talks.  Coming to hiring talks is
important for two reasons:  first, we want to make a good impression on
candidates.  Second, and more important, you will learn how (or in some
cases, how not) to give a hiring talk.  This is important preparation for
when you get to do it.

3.  There are two more visits next week for candidates for Associate Dean
for Undergraduate Education.   Please treat these as regular hiring talks,
since the person will be a regular faculty member, doing research and
teaching, in addition to his or her Deaning duties. So please to these, too.

--Mitch