[PRL] Torture chamber Sept 19th 17:00, 366

dvanhorn at ccs.neu.edu dvanhorn at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Sep 19 17:02:07 EDT 2013

Starting now...

-----Original Message-----
From: J. Ian Johnson [ianj at ccs.neu.edu]
To: PRL List [prl at lists.ccs.neu.edu]
Subject: [PRL] Torture chamber Sept 19th 17:00, 366

I'm presenting in the last session of ICFP proper. Please come torture me.

Speaker: J. Ian Johnson
Talk venue: ICFP

Title: Optimizing Abstract Abstract Machines

Abstract:
The technique of abstracting abstract machines (AAM) provides a systematic approach for deriving computable approximations of evaluators that are easily proved sound. In this talk, I will explain a complementary step-by-step process for subsequently going from a naive analyzer derived under the AAM approach, to an efficient and correct implementation. The end result of the process is a two to three order-of-magnitude improvement over the systematically derived analyzer, making it competitive with hand-optimized implementations that compute fundamentally less precise results.