[PRL] Fwd: [Programming] Avi Shinnar: Tuesday 10am Brooks room

David Van Horn dvanhorn at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Sep 9 16:21:45 EDT 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Programming] Avi Shinnar: Tuesday 10am Brooks room
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 16:03:52 -0400
From: Stephen Chong <chong at seas.harvard.edu>
To: EECS Programming List <programming at eecs.harvard.edu>

A talk tomorrow morning by Avi Shinnar, formerly of Harvard PL :). Hope
to see you there!

Title: Resilient X10
Speaker: Avi Shinnar, IBM Research
Abstract:
X10 (http://x10-lang.org/) is a language for scale-out programming based
on the ideas of places and asynchrony. It supports a rich object
oriented (Java-like) programming style with reified types, first class
functions, and constrained types.

Resilient X10 is ongoing work extending X10 to support resilience. As
part of this work, we are developing a formal semantics for X10, and are
working on mechanizing the formalization in Coq.

I will present a brief overview of X10 and its key constructs, and then
explain the goals of resilient X10.  After this, I will dive into the
formalism we are developing for resilient X10 and then present the
(ongoing) work to mechanize this semantics.