[PRL] Fwd: [Programming] PL Seminar this week

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt samth at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Apr 29 14:47:12 EDT 2013

Two upcoming talks at Harvard.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Greg Morrisett <greg at eecs.harvard.edu>
Date: Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Programming] PL Seminar this week
To: David Darais <darais at seas.harvard.edu>
Cc: "programming at eecs.harvard.edu List" <programming at eecs.harvard.edu>

Also, on Wednesday, at 4-5pm, we have Nate Foster of Cornell University
who is doing some cool stuff at the intersection of PL and Networking:

Title: Formal Foundations for Networks

Abstract: In many fields of computing, techniques ranging from testing
to formal modeling to full-blown verification have been successfully
used to build reliable systems. But networks have largely resisted
analysis using formal techniques. This talk will present recent work
on developing a mathematical foundation for networks including a
detailed operational model of software-defined networks, its
formalization in the Coq proof assistant, a machine-verified compiler
and run-time system for the NetCore programming language, and an
automatic property-checking tool based on Z3.

Joint work with Arjun Guha, Mark Reitlbatt, and Rebecca Coombes. A
forthcoming paper in the ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Programming
Language Design and Implementation (PLDI) describes our system in
detail [http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~jnfoster/papers/frenetic-verified-controllers.pdf].

Bio: Nate Foster is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at
Cornell University. His research focuses on developing language
abstractions and tools for building reliable systems. He received a
PhD in Computer Science from the University of Pennsylvania in 2009,
an MPhil in History and Philosophy of Science from Cambridge
University in 2008, and a BA in Computer Science from Williams College
in 2001. He was a postdoc at Princeton University from 2009-2010. His
awards include an NSF CAREER award, a Sloan Research Fellowship, a
Yahoo! Academic Career Enhancement Award, and the Morris and Dorothy
Rubinoff Award.

On Apr 29, 2013, at 1:57 PM, David Darais <darais at seas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Head up on our PL seminar this week:
>
> Christoph Koch
> Automatic Synthesis of Out-of-Core Algorithms
> Thursday May 2, 2013, 4-5pm
> Maxwell Dworkin 221
>
> Abstract:
>
> In this talk, I present a system for the automatic synthesis of efficient algorithms specialized for a particular memory hierarchy and a set of storage devices. The developer provides two independent inputs: 1) an algorithm that uses a simple random-access memory model which ignores memory hierarchy and external storage aspects; and 2) a description of the target memory hierarchy, including its topology and parameters. Our system is able to automatically synthesize memory-hierarchy and storage-device-aware algorithms out of those specifications, for tasks such as joins and sorting. It uses a combination of cost estimation and rewrite heuristics that are motivated by data locality-related systems principles. The framework is extensible and allows developers to quickly synthesize custom out-of-core algorithms as new storage technologies become available. This research draws on work from a number of areas, such as systems (data locality principles, cost-based optimization, sec
 ondary storage algorithms) programming languages, and compilers
(domain specific languages, program synthesis).

> This is joint work with Yannis Klonatos, Andres Noetzli, Andrej Spielmann, and Viktor Kuncak.
>
> Bio:
>
> Christoph Koch is a professor of Computer Science at EPFL, specializing in data management. Until 2010, he was an Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science at Cornell University. Previously to this, from 2005 to 2007, he was an Associate Professor of Computer Science at Saarland University. Earlier, he obtained his PhD in Artificial Intelligence from TU Vienna and CERN (2001), was a postdoctoral researcher at TU Vienna and the University of Edinburgh (2001-2003), and an assistant professor at TU Vienna (2003-2005). He obtained his Habilitation degree in 2004. He has won Best Paper Awards at PODS 2002, ICALP 2005, and SIGMOD 2011, an Outrageous Ideas and Vision Paper Award at CIDR 2013, a Google Research Award (in 2009), and an ERC Grant (in 2011). He is a PI of the Billion-Euro EU FET Flagship Human Brain Project. He (co-)chaired the program committees of DBPL 2005, WebDB 2008, and ICDE 2011, and was PC vice-chair of ICDE 2008 and ICDE 2009. He has served on
  the editorial board of ACM Transactions on Internet Technology as
well as in numerous program committees. He currently serves as PC
co-chair of VLDB 2013 and Editor-in-Chief of PVLDB.