[PRL] schedule for Fritze

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Apr 25 19:32:45 EDT 2013

Here is the preliminary schedule for Fritz -- Matthias

09:30-10:00 Matthias
10:00-10:30 Mitch
10:30-11:00 Sam
11:00-11:40 PLT I
11:45-01:15 Talk
01:15-02:45 Lunch: Shriram and students
02:45-03:30 Amal
03:30-04:30 PLT II
04:30-05:30 PRL (WE NEED A STUDENT IN CHARGE HERE)
05:30-06:15 David (includes Ian)

06:30 off to dinner (Sam, David, and Matthias)

The Quest for GAS:
Genericity, Abstraction and Scalability---simultaneously

Fritz Henglein
Department of Computer Science, University of Copenhagen (DIKU)

Abstract:

In this talk we investigate the fundamental problems of sorting and
partitioning, identify an apparent trade-off between scalability
(performance) and data abstraction, and discuss which side present
programming languages seem to favor.

The trade-off is not inherent, however.  We exhibit a functional
abstraction we call discriminators that achieves full abstraction and
asymptotically optimal (worst-case linear-time) performance for
user-specifiable orders (for sorting) and equivalences (for
partitioning)---simultaneously.  This even holds for sorting/partitioning
complex data such as trees, multisets, sets and arbitrarily nested
combinations.  This suggests that built-in and abstract data types with
observable equality or ordering should come equipped with discriminators
instead of (just) binary comparison functions or hash functions.

Biography:

Fritz Henglein is professor of programming languages and systems at DIKU,
the Department of Computer Science at the University of Copenhagen.  His
research interests are in semantic, logical and algorithmic aspects of
programming languages, specifically type inference, type-based program
analysis, algorithmic functional programming and domain-specific languages;
and the application of programming language technology, presently in
enterprise systems (3gERP.org), health care processes (trustcare.eu) and
finance (hiperfit.dk).