[PRL] The Importance of Excel

Felix Klock pnkfelix at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Feb 14 11:24:42 EST 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Tony Garnock-Jones <tonyg at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>  From a PL-in-the-small point of view, perhaps the quickest win would be
> replacing row/column addressing entirely.

This was the first thing I thought too [*] when I saw Mitch's message.

Well, except for me the thought took the form: "Lotus Improv provided
a superior environment 20 years ago; it is a shame it died."

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Improv

Skimming the above wikipedia article yielded the survey piece below, which
may provide good starting point compiling related-research material
for anyone interested in following up on this:

  "Spreadsheet Programming"
  Robin Abraham, Margaret Burnett and Martin Erwig
  http://eusesconsortium.org/pubs/searchable/sheets.pdf

Cheers,
-Felix

[*] (in terms of the general question "what can PL offer for
spreadsheet programming in general", rather than "what could PL have
offered that would have addressed this specific problem).