[PRL] The Importance of Excel

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Feb 14 11:06:34 EST 2013

When I first received this link early in the week, someone suggested that
our unit checking system for Excel (ICSE 2004) could have caught the bug.

But if I understood the paper correctly the formula should have been

average(K,L)

but was entered as

   K + L

So this is neither a type nor a unit bug but a truly logical bug. If this
model had been treated as a real program, we might have been able to specify
an expected interval and the factor of (K+ L) vs average(K,L) might have been
caught.

-- Matthias