[PRL] Fwd: [MIT-PL] TALK:Wednesday 11-7-12 PL/SE Seminar: Mechanizing the metatheory of XQuery

David Van Horn dvanhorn at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Oct 30 17:02:33 EDT 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [MIT-PL] TALK:Wednesday 11-7-12 PL/SE Seminar: Mechanizing the
metatheory of XQuery
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 17:01:02 -0400
From: Csail Event Calendar <eventcalendar at csail.mit.edu>
To: pl at csail.mit.edu

PL/SE Seminar: Mechanizing the metatheory of XQuery
Speaker: James Cheney
Speaker Affiliation: University of Edinburgh
Host: Adam Chlipala
Host Affiliation: CSAIL

Date: 11-7-2012
Time: 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Location: 32-G882 (reading room)

Nominal abstract syntax (as implemented in the Nominal Isabelle tool) is
becoming a popular way to formalize and verify properties of programming
languages.  However, formalization techniques have yet to make an impact on
the design of real-world programming languages, such as new W3C
standards.  In
this talk I'll present a formalization of a fragment of XQuery, a 2007
standard for querying XML data.  While the mini-XQuery fragment we have
formalized represents a substantial effort, it omits a number of key
features,
and I will discuss how these can be handled in future work.

(Joint work with Christian Urban)

Relevant URL(S): http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/jcheney/
For more information please contact: Adam Chlipala, adamc at csail.mit.edu