[PRL] Cache and I/O Efficient Functional Algorithms

johan at ccs.neu.edu johan at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Aug 28 10:44:33 EDT 2012

That reminded me of a usenet posting, more that 15 years ago, about the vagaries of cache interaction on wall-clock performance.  IIRC, this is what convinced SimonPJ to never measure wall-clock time, but instead instrument binaries to count instructions executed.

http://compilers.iecc.com/comparch/article/96-02-165