[PRL] shriram and dan/kathi

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Jan 11 11:39:45 EST 2012

Next Wednesday (1/18) we will have Shriram, Dan Dougherty and Kathi Fisler visiting the lab. Shriram will speak but DD and KF will also be available for 1-1 meetings. After discussing this with Shriram in detail, SK will be available separately from DD/KF who come as a pair.

If you would like to meet with either SK and/or DD/KF, please let me know which times you cannot meet with them. Right now, I am counting on meetings from 2:30 through 6:30pm. I will try to allocate time slots in the morning, if there is enough demand.

Abstract appeared on pl-seminar and is appended below.

-- Matthias

 Policy Analysis, an Application of Programming Language Technology

                      Shriram Krishnamurthi
                         Brown University

Access-control policies control data dissemination in domains from
health-care to social networks.  Similar policies also govern various
aspects of firewalls and routers.

The subtle nature of these policies suggests this is a natural domain
to apply formal methods, while the separate authoring of policies in
domain-specific languages affords opportunities for powerful analysis.
It is, however, unclear that the straightforward application of
verification is appropriate or useful.  The talk will describe our
work on useful forms of input and output, the concrete tools we've
produced, and our increasing use of human cognitive aspects to drive
our next generation of research in this area.