[PRL] Abstracting Runtime Heaps for Program Understanding. (arXiv:1201.1327v1 [cs....

Mitch mwand1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 07:04:27 EST 2012

  Sent to you by Mitch via Google Reader: Abstracting Runtime Heaps for
Program Understanding. (arXiv:1201.1327v1 [cs.PL]) via cs.PL updates on
arXiv.org by <a
href="http://arxiv.org/find/cs/1/au:+Marron_M/0/1/0/all/0/1">Mark
Marron</a>, <a
href="http://arxiv.org/find/cs/1/au:+Sanchez_C/0/1/0/all/0/1">Cesar
Sanchez</a>, <a
href="http://arxiv.org/find/cs/1/au:+Su_Z/0/1/0/all/0/1">Zhendong
Su</a>, <a
href="http://arxiv.org/find/cs/1/au:+Fahndrich_M/0/1/0/all/0/1">Manuel
Fahndrich</a> on 1/8/12

Modern programming environments provide extensive support for
inspecting, analyzing, and testing programs based on the algorithmic
structure of a program. Unfortunately, support for inspecting and
understanding runtime data structures during execution is typically
much more limited. This paper provides a general purpose technique for
abstracting and summarizing entire runtime heaps. We describe the
abstract heap model and the associated algorithms for transforming a
concrete heap dump into the corresponding abstract model as well as
algorithms for merging, comparing, and computing changes between
abstract models. The abstract model is designed to emphasize high-level
concepts about heap-based data structures, such as shape and size, as
well as relationships between heap structures, such as sharing and
connectivity. We demonstrate the utility and computational tractability
of the abstract heap model by building a memory profiler. We then use
this tool to check for, pinpoint, and correct sources of memory bloat
from a suite of programs from DaCapo.

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to cs.PL updates on arXiv.org using Google Reader
favorite sites