[PRL] Torture chamber tomorrow, 10/21, 1:30 WVH366

Aaron Turon turon at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Oct 20 10:30:07 EDT 2011

I'll be giving a practice OOPSLA talk tomorrow (Friday, 10/21) in
WVH366 at 1:30.  The talk length is 20 minutes.  Please come torture
me!

--

Scalable Join Patterns
(with Claudio Russo)

Coordination can destroy scalability in parallel programming. A
comprehensive library of synchronization primitives is therefore an
essential tool for exploiting parallelism. Unfortunately, such
primitives do not easily combine to yield scalable solutions to more
complex problems. We demonstrate that a concurrency library based on
Fournet and Gonthier's join calculus can provide declarative and
scalable coordination. By declarative, we mean that the programmer
needs only to write down the constraints of a coordination problem,
and the library will automatically derive a correct solution. By
scalable, we mean that the derived solutions deliver robust
performance both as the number of processors increases, and as the
complexity of the coordination problem grows. We validate our claims
empirically on seven coordination problems, comparing our generic
solution to specialized algorithms from the literature.