[PRL] Bob Harper's new blog

Dave Herman dherman at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Mar 17 11:36:17 EDT 2011

Just from my quick reading, I took that to be roughly the theme of Bob's post. What I don't understand is Will's refutation(s?) of Bob's post.

Dave

Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

On Mar 17, 2011, at 11:26 AM, Dave Herman wrote: > David's point about heated assertions without evidence is germane. Maybe you're trying to let the irony of refuting a blog post about the difference between booleans and propositions by asserting its falsehood without proof somehow be the proof itself, but I'm afraid even after 8 (count 'em) years of studying PL theory, my brain doesn't go that meta. > > So for us mortals... care to explain? That one is easy to explain and resolve. Plain 'true' is a value in the carrier of some model. Something such as 'Dave is at the other coast' is an assertion, which belongs to a completely different category than values. In classical logic, you reify 'true' as a simple proposition and then you can write 'Dave is at the other coast' ≡ true In others logics, you can't necessarily do so.