[PRL] Bob Harper's new blog

Dave Herman dherman at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Mar 17 11:26:31 EDT 2011

I'm sorry, somebody has to say this. You might as well have just crypto-hashed your message and sent that instead. Your argument is completely opaque to me, and I'd wager, to the whole PRL.

David's point about heated assertions without evidence is germane. Maybe you're trying to let the irony of refuting a blog post about the difference between booleans and propositions by asserting its falsehood without proof somehow be the proof itself, but I'm afraid even after 8 (count 'em) years of studying PL theory, my brain doesn't go that meta.

So for us mortals... care to explain?

Dave

William D Clinger <will at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

Mitch wrote: > The first few posts have been interesting. That's a polite way of putting it. > Link: > http://existentialtype.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/teaching-fp-to-freshmen/ Clicking on the archive link, I read his essay on "Boolean Blindness". The first sentence of its sixth paragraph is flat-out wrong, but it seems unfair to mention just that one sentence when so many others vie for that distinction. I also noticed this tidbit from "Teaching FP to freshmen": Object-oriented programming is eliminated entirely from the introductory curriculum, because it is both anti-modular and anti-parallel by its very nature, and hence unsuitable for a modern CS curriculum. From what I understand, we have a possibly moribund committee that's supposed to decide what if anything can be done about CS 3500, Object-Oriented Design. Just in case any other members of that committee are reading this, I move that Bob Harper's sentence above be adopted as that committee's main recommendation to ou
 r dean.