[PRL] TFP practice talk

Stephen Chang stchang at ccs.neu.edu
Fri May 7 17:03:07 EDT 2010

Hi PRL,

I'm going to hold a torture chamber talk for my TFP paper titled
"Evaluating Call by Need on the Control Stack" on Wednesday,
May 12 at 1:30 pm in WVH 366. If you can come and give feedback I'd
greatly appreciate it.

Abstract:

Ariola and Felleisen's call-by-need lambda-calculus replaces a
variable occurrence with its value at the last possible moment. To
support this gradual notion of substitution, function
applications---once established---are never discharged. In this paper
we show how to translate this notion of reduction into an abstract
machine that resolves variable references via the control stack. In
particular, the machine uses the static address of a variable
occurrence to extract its current value from the dynamic control
stack.