[PRL] CouchDB

Joe Marshall jmarshall at alum.mit.edu
Fri Oct 23 16:23:58 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Dave Herman <dherman at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>> It made a lot of noise on blogs and such some time ago, but seems to
>> have been forgotten since. I haven't looked at it, though.
>
> It's getting a new round of publicity since Mozilla's announced they're
> building their experimental new Raindrop tool on top of it.
>
> For the curious: AFAICT, CouchDB is a schema-less distributed database
> built in Erlang with a RESTful, JSON-based HTTP API and the ability to
> write Map/Reduce style queries.
>
> Think about this for a moment:
>
>     Buzzword    Inspiration
>     --------    -----------
>     REST        statelessness
>     JSON        S-expressions
>     Map/Reduce  fold
>     Erlang      Erlang

    schema-less    dynamically typed

Or better yet....

Buzzword   | Inspiration |     Misunderstanding

  REST      statelessness   There won't be state if we don't
                            provide an API for it.

  JSON      S-expressions   `data is code' taken too literally

Map/Reduce      fold        Unix programs can be `functions'

schemaless  dynamic typing  dynamic typing = no types

--
~jrm