[PRL] PL-Seminar community meeting

Aaron Turon turon at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Oct 8 12:32:04 EDT 2009

As most of you know, Mitch has asked me to take over PL-Seminar.  We
had our first visitor talk this week, by Vikash Mansinghka, and we can
expect a steady trickle of talks by visiting researchers (suggestions
welcome!).

But there are many more weeks than visiting researchers.  If we, as a
lab, want to keep up with current research, we have to take the
initiative.  I would like to ask every student to consider giving one
seminar talk this year.  Yes, preparing a talk is a lot of work, but
if we each invest that time once per year, we all get the benefits
year-round.

To help us reach this ideal, we're going to have a organizational
meeting next Wed (10/14), at the usual time and place (WVH366, 11:45).

Faculty: please come to the meeting with 5-7 papers, printed, that
you'd like to hear about.  These could be recent conference papers, or
older papers in an area you'd like to learn more about, or think the
lab would benefit from.  Of course, we would also love to have faculty
presentations this year.

Students: please allow yourself to be guilted into presenting this
year :-)  More seriously, if you already have a paper in mind, bring
it.  Otherwise, you can select one of the faculty-suggested papers and
present that.

We'll set up a loose schedule of talks, which will be adjusted as
visiting researchers get scheduled.

Thanks,
Aaron