[PRL] do not prop the door to WVH 308 open. ever.

Felix S Klock II pnkfelix at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Sep 18 09:15:05 EDT 2009

PRL-

Its a new year, and it seems like its time for me to make my yearly
plea (see subject line).

Eli Barzilay mentioned to me this morning that he found the door to
WVH 308 propped open [1] when he was in the lab late last night (circa
1am).

This is a security hazard in two important ways ways:

   (1.) someone can come in and steal equipment while the door is
propped open (e.g. some people leave their laptops in the lab
overnight [2]).

   (2.) when the deadbolt is propped in this manner and strikes
against the edge of the door frame, it *DAMAGES* the lock mechanism,
eventually to the point where the door *NEVER* *LOCKS*, which means
that we've lost all security for WVH 308 at all times, regardless of
whether the door is propped or not.

We have already had an instance of the event described in (2.) above.

(Please do not e-mail me back with hypotheses about whether it is the
cleaning crew propping the door open as opposed to members of PRL,
unless you have hard evidence; the message needs to get out to the
junior members of PRL regardless of whether they are the culprits from
last night or not.)

Thanks,

-Felix

[1] (By "propped open", I mean that the deadbolt was pushed out so
that the door would not shut and thus the lock would not engage.)

[2] If you do choose to leave a laptop in the lab unattended, it is
probably best to secure it via a laptop lock, which you can buy at
most computer hardware stores.  SamTH or I can show you an example of
such a lock if you do not know what I am referring to.