[PRL] Apple's new OS geared for multicore future | Deep Tech - CNET News

Vasileios Koutavas vkoutav at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Sep 13 19:38:57 EDT 2009

 From the site that Jed sent:

> Avoid using locks. The support provided by dispatch queues and
> operation queues makes locks unnecessary in most situations. Instead
> of using locks to protect some shared resource, designate a serial
> queue (or use operation object dependencies) to execute tasks in the
> correct order.

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/General/Conceptual/ConcurrencyProgrammingGuide/ConcurrencyandApplicationDesign/ConcurrencyandApplicationDesign.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40008091-CH100-SW1

Sounds like the intent is "in most situations" to implement locks
using serial queues. I wonder if a procedure that swaps the values of
two resources guarded by different queues can be implemented this way.

--Vassilis