[PRL] Subcubic Control Flow Analysis Algorithms

David Van Horn dvanhorn at ccs.neu.edu
Thu May 21 18:55:39 EDT 2009

Jan and I would greatly appreciate feedback.  -- David

Subcubic Control Flow Analysis Algorithms

Jan Midtgaard
David Van Horn
http://www.ruc.dk/dat_en/research/reports/125/

We give the first direct subcubic algorithm for performing control flow
analysis of higher-order functional programs. Despite the long held
belief that inclusion-based flow analysis could not surpass the ``cubic
bottleneck,'' we apply known set compression techniques to obtain an
algorithm that runs in time O(n^3/log n) on a unit cost random-access
memory model machine. Moreover, we refine the initial flow analysis into
two more precise analyses incorporating notions of reachability. We give
subcubic algorithms for these more precise analyses and relate them to
an existing analysis from the literature.