[PRL] doors, locks, and bolts

Felix S Klock II pnkfelix at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Apr 23 08:46:39 EDT 2009

PRL-

I arrived this morning (~8:20 AM) and found the door to WVH 308
propped open by its deadbolt.  No one was inside the room.

This is not good for two reasons:

   1. While I usually secure my laptop within the lab, not everyone
else does;  besides there are other valuables in here.

   2. We know from past experience that propping-via-deadbolt can
damage the door to the degree that the door does not shut properly
(and causes it to appear to be closed, but leaving it in fact
unsecured/unlocked, even at night).

The latter is my main concern; even if someone were inside the lab
(and thus implicitly securing it for the moment), that does nothing to
prevent this long-term effect.

----

Having said that, it would be helpful for whomever did prop open the
door within the last 14 hours to jot me an email saying so, because I
want to be reassured that it is not the maintenance staff that is
doing it.  (Do it via a fake email address if you like; I hear Sir
Arthur Conan Doyle is a popular source for pseudonyms. :)

(If someone believes that the maintenance staff has been responsible
for this, now or in the past, and it is not one of the members of our
lab, then we should raise the issue with them as well.  But I would
prefer to check within our own group first.)

Thanks,
-Felix