[PRL] Stallman: Not Free at Any Price

David Van Horn dvanhorn at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Jan 12 11:39:14 EST 2009

Not Free at Any Price
Why I switched to the OLPC---and why I dropped it
Richard M. Stallman
http://bostonreview.net/BR33.6/stallman.php

Excerpt:

Teaching children to use Windows is like teaching them to smoke
tobacco---in a world where only one company sells tobacco. Like any
addictive drug, it inculcates a harmful dependency. (Bill Gates made
this comparison in a 1998 issue of Fortune Magazine.) No wonder
Microsoft offers the first dose to children at a low price. Microsoft
aims to teach poor children this dependency so they can smoke Windows
for their whole lives. I don't think governments or schools should
support that aim.