[PRL] Fwd: Talk: Eran Yahav & Martin Vechev on Machinie Assisted Construction of Concurrent Algorithms

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Nov 18 14:25:57 EST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Greg Morrisett <greg at eecs.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:51 AM
Subject: Talk: Eran Yahav & Martin Vechev on Machinie Assisted Construction
of Concurrent Algorithms
To: programming at eecs.harvard.edu, cs252 at eecs.harvard.edu,
syrah at eecs.harvard.edu
Cc: Olin Shivers <shivers at ccs.neu.edu>, Matthias Felleisen <
matthias at ccs.neu.edu>, Mitchell Wand <wand at ccs.neu.edu>

Next Wednesday (Nov 19), Eran Yahav and Martin Vechev of IBM Research
will be visiting and giving a talk in Pierce Hall 100F at 4pm.
(For 252 students, class will be let out early so we can go to this.)
For the NEU folks, please feel free to pass along to those who may
be interested.

The title and abstract are below.

-Greg

=
=
=
=
Title: Paraglide: Machine Assisted Construction of Concurrent Algorithms
Speaker: Martin Vechev, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center

The design and implementation of efficient and correct concurrent
algorithms, even of
small size, is a well-known challenging problem. Manually dealing with
fine-grained
concurrency is very difficult, even for experts. The current approach for
constructing
concurrent algorithms raises many questions and objections: repeated effort
per algorithm, both in the construction and in the verification, sub-optimal
solutions,
inability to differentiate inherent complexity from implementation
complexity, and many
more.
In this talk I will present some of the latest results of the Paraglide
project on
automating parts of the construction of these programs. I will show how
starting from a
sequential implementation and using an automated tool, we constructed a
space of
linearizable concurrent data structure algorithms, some of which are
completely new
algorithms of practical value.
I will also briefly discuss our current work on automatically inferring
synchronization
and how concurrency and observability play a key role in that process.

(Joint work with Eran Yahav and Greta Yorsh)