[PRL] Lightweight windows laptop?

Olin Shivers shivers at mongkok.dyndns.org
Tue Nov 4 10:53:48 EST 2008

The brand-new Lenovo X301 and X200 are rather nice.

I just bought an X301, dual booting Vista & linux. It's like a serious Mac Air.
- Solid, Thinkpad construction.
- Lighter than my old X31
- but you get a DVD
- and the screen is much bigger and higher-res (1440x900)
- and they come with SSD, which is very nice -- no worries about
  head crashes, quiet & cool.
- They also have both trackpoint and a touchpad.

It contains a suprising number of different radios: wifi b/g/n, bluetooth,
GSM/phone available now, and Lenovo says that wireless USB, GPS and some other
new wireless networking standard I can't remember right now are coming soon.

Oddly, the flagship X301 is only 1.4 Ghz, while the X200 is 2.4 GHz.
But I'm fine w/that. CPU speed on my notebook, for me, is secondary to
weight, quality of construction, and size of display.

Oh, another nice thing: if you prefer, you can pop the DVD drive out
and fill the void with an extra battery.

Alternatively, all my friends with Mac notebooks love them.

You can play w/my X301 if you want to take a look. I'm pretty happy with it.
    -Olin