[PRL] Thesis Proposal - Sam Tobin-Hochstadt - Today @ 3PM

Sam TH samth at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Oct 16 09:16:29 EDT 2008

PhD Thesis Proposal
=====================================

STUDENT: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt

Title:
Typed Scheme: Bringing Types to Untyped Languages

Thursday, Oct 16, 2008
3:00 PM
366 West Village H

Abstract
Programming languages has recently experienced a renaissance,
especially in the field of untyped scripting languages. But when
scripts written in untyped languages grow large, they may also grow
difficult to maintain. To improve the maintainability of untyped
language programs, we propose porting portions of them into typed
languages. To validate the feasibility of this approach, we have
developed Typed Scheme, a typed sister language to PLT Scheme. Typed
Scheme provides smooth and sound interoperability with untyped PLT
Scheme. It features a type system that supports idiomatic Scheme
programming, so that the porting process is relatively
straightforward.

Thesis committee members:
Prof. Matthias Felleisen (advisor)
Prof. Mitch Wand
Prof. Olin Shivers
Dr. Guy Steele (external member, Sun Microsystems Laboratories)

--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu