[PRL] ACM talk on Java PathFinder

Peter Dillinger pcd at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Oct 8 10:28:06 EDT 2008

i'm giving the student ACM talk today at 11:45.  the talk is about
Java PathFinder but is geared toward an undergraduate audience, so i
spend some time talking about concurrency, some bugs that can arise in
concurrent programs, how we know they are there, how Java PathFinder
searches for them, and some of the techniques JPF uses to reduce the
size of the state space, including some I implemented.

"Inside NASA's Java PathFinder" -- Peter Dillinger

    * Weekly Speaker Series

    Start: 10/08/2008 - 11:45am
    End: 10/08/2008 - 1:15pm

    Location: 108 WVH

    Abstract: Java PathFinder (JPF) is a tool primarily developed by NASA
    for finding bugs in Java programs, and is poised to analyze software
    that will take astronauts back to the Moon, to Mars, and beyond.  JPF
    is particularly suited for analyzing concurrent programs, which are
    notorious for having bugs that evade traditional testing techniques.
    I describe how a model checker such as JPF works and how it overcomes
    some tractability problems, including some contributions I made
    during an internship with NASA/Ames.

--
Peter Dillinger
pcd at ccs.neu.edu