[PRL] [plt-internal] Video of Clojure talk

Dave Herman dherman at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Oct 2 15:00:54 EDT 2008

> No, he gets an audience question about tail calls, recognizes that
> they are useful for setting up networks of calls between functions,
> and then says something that I don't understand -- it sounds both like
> you can do that with his constructs, AND that it will blow up out of
> memory.  (You don't need special constructs to achieve the latter!)

I think you missed an earlier part of the talk that he quickly refers to
in that comment. To expand out his point: the facility exists in Clojure
now, but it uses up unbounded stack space and therefore isn't usable --
*yet*. But he mentioned earlier that at the JVM language summit he just
went to, one language designer after another hammered on the desire for
proper tail calls in the JVM. Based on the mood at the summit, he's
optimistic that the JVM will eventually be properly tail-calling, at
which point mutually recursive, tail-calling functions in Clojure will
use constant stack space.

Dave