[PRL] reliability vs market forces

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Oct 1 12:38:43 EDT 2008

The paper bubbled to near the top of my stack a number of times.

1. It is good to read that the systems people are as far removed from
the market as the PL people.

2. It is also good to see that someone in the systems community
public says how far removed from reality -- to the point of complete
irrelevance -- the Theory of Dist Comp people were. I tended to sense
this watching numerous people at Rice, and my colleagues would mumble
"toy mathematics" after such talks, but nobody had the guts to say
this aloud.

3. It appears to me that the authors fail to expose the obvious
dilemma of the discipline in general:

The parallel development of CS as an academic discipline and Software
as probably the largest manufactured product slice of the economy has
left us with a deep split between the two. Academia is over-populated
by toy mathematicians who produce occasionally nifty philosophical
insights but by and large are unaware and uninterested in the
problems that emerge from the world of "practicing software
engineers." (Instead they read books for the working category
theoretician -- an oxymoron if there is one). Industry is over-
populated by get-it-done-no-matter-what programmers who aren't worth
their salary. They do come up with products that people want to use
and some of them have enough reflective power to pose problems to
academia but by and large they don't care what comes out of academia
and they don't care to talk to us. As Will once says "the idea that
'test first' constitutes progress to industry says a lot about them."

I suspect that the discipline would be much healthier if "they" were
able to articulate real problems and pose them to us and "we" would
listen and tackle them. Conversely,  "we" should be able to routinely
demonstrate how our work applies to theirs with artifacts and
processes. Until they learn to stop to think and reflect and until a
large majority of us builds products for real users, nothing will
happen though.

-- Matthias