[PRL] Subrefereeing for POPL 09

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Jul 17 14:20:08 EDT 2008

Hi folks!

I'm on the POPL program committee, too, so it's time for me to solicit
subreferee reports from you guys, like I did for ICFP.

Rather than having me trying to figure out which papers might be interesting
to which people, I'm going to ask you to volunteer to review one or two
papers that you think might be interesting to you.  If I don't get
volunteers, then I'll go back to the other system .  I signed up for some of
these papers precisely because I figured I could get good subreferee reports
from one or more of you.

I thought this worked really well last time, so I'm trying it again.

Details:

   - The papers that I've been assigned are in the table at
   https://wiki.ccs.neu.edu/display/~wand/POPL+2009+Subreferee+Signup. The
   links in the table should work. (Damn, I love emacs keyboard macros!).
   - Feel free to add author names to the table.
   - Please sign up for papers by editing the "referees" column in the
   table. (I'll automatically be notified by email).
   - I'd like to have your reports by 8/15.
   - If you are a grad student, don't spend more than two days on a paper.
   - Your report needn't be tremendously formal or detailed. Please submit
   your report by emailing it to me as a text attachment.
   - Look at my csg711 "Professional Resources" web page for useful
   materials on how to write a referee's report. (*NOTE:* The link there is
   broken. I found it here: The Task of the
Referee<http://www.computer.org/portal/cms_docs_transactions/transactions/tpami/freecontent/taskoftheferee.pdf>--Dave
H.)
   - Yes, I know you have no idea what the rest of the submission pool looks
   like.  But you can assess its quality against other POPL papers you've read
   in the past, and you can assess internal consistency, clarity, etc.
   - I will be reading and independently assessing each paper myself, so
   don't worry about making mistakes in judgement.  If your report is good,
   I'll rely on it.  If I think you're off base, I'll ignore it.  Either way,
   you'll get a credit as a referee.
   - All these are submissions, so you should keep the contents confidential
   to the lab, unless there is a public copy on the web somewhere.

OK, that sounds way more complicated than it is.  I'm sure I've left
something out; please feel free to ask questions.
Remember, please: refereeing is an important service to the community. The
better the referee reports, the better and the more reliable the entire
conference (and journal) submission process is.  So please do your part!