[PRL] reliability vs market forces

Dave Herman dherman at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Jun 28 18:29:08 EDT 2008

I don't understand everything in this paper but it's interesting:

How the Hidden Hand Shapes the Market for Software Reliability
by Birman, Chandersekaran, Dolev, and van Renesse
http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~dolev/pubs/MarketFailure.pdf

Abstract:

Since the 17th century, economists have recognized that absent
government intervention, market forces determine the pricing and
ultimate fate of technologies. Our contention is that the "hidden hand"
explains a series of market failures impacting products in the field of
software reliability. If reliability solutions are to reach mainstream
developers, greater attention must be paid to market economics and drivers.

Dave