[PRL] Benjamin Pierce: Types Considered Harmful

Felix S Klock II pnkfelix at ccs.neu.edu
Fri May 30 11:51:25 EDT 2008

On May 30, 2008, at 10:15 AM, Dave Herman wrote:

> The weirdest part was when he claimed that one of the big issues
> people
> have with type systems is performance. Does anyone actually say this?

Most type systems (of which I am aware) require a memory safe language
for their soundness proof to go through.  Many languages rely on GC to
get memory safety.  People have argued against (tracing) Garbage
Collection based on performance.

So I think that is the heart of the argument there, which can be
summarized as: "if you reject GC due to its performance implications,
then you might as well throw out the goal of type safety as well."

I do not know how many people actually make this argument to conclude
that you should reject types; it requires a pretty deep knowledge of
type systems and a somewhat shallow knowledge of GC.

The argument does require that you accept *every* implication on the
title of slide 19.

(I reject a majority of the implications on the title of slide 19.)

-Felix