[PRL] counting papers

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Feb 1 16:08:47 EST 2008

Moshe V sent me this link

   http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/Tmp/parnas-viewpoint.pdf

to a CACM Viewpoint (op ed) because he remembered me arguing against
hiring candidates who had published too many papers. I have been
doing this here, too, and people have asked me why. I think that
David Parnas hits the nail on the head with his column and you should
take it to heart.

;; ---

For our PRL students:  read it and weep, because hiring committees
often count. Also weep because publishing one solid paper on your
dissertation just doesn't cut it. As much as I agree with Parnas, I
also know that some pieces of work have distinct projections onto
distinct research communities. Since it is likely, for example, that
SE researchers re-discover and re-sell an idea from PL, it is your
responsibility to yourself to project your PL work along those
dimensions and in their venues. Similarly, PL theoreticians tend to
hack beautiful SE ideas to death. If you are in SE, it is your duty
to learn how to communicate your results to the PL community directly
and in a respectable manner. The preceding sentences are meant to be
illustrative not exclusive. SE & PL are just the two areas that we
are involved in most.

Enjoy now. -- Matthias