[PRL] Code's Worst Enemy

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Dec 29 15:04:39 EST 2007

On Dec 29, 2007, at 2:25 PM, William D Clinger wrote:

> The four steps I have outlined above can be criticized
> for being too inward-looking, because of their focus on
> Scheme, but they are more outward-looking than a lot of
> what we have been doing.

1. They are too inward looking. Scheme -- as specified in any
existing document or future document -- isn't too relevant for the
large picture.

2. I believe that

  -- linguistic experimentation, based on existing Scheme
implementations;
  -- the construction and re-construction of large systems based on
such extensions; and
  -- the dissemination of knowledge about such linguistic experiments
     [ideally this should include the porting of knowledge to other
contexts, but at this point, I am usually out of energy]

contribute in a more direct manner to the solution than inward-
looking research. This is especially true if we experiment with
constructs that concern the construction and organization of large
software systems.

This perspective can be criticized as not Scheme-focused enough and
as too disrespectful of language standards.

-- Matthias