[PRL] Emacs 22 follies

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Dec 10 12:27:41 EST 2007

Several items related to emacs-22:

1.  Emacs 22 is available on Solaris as  /opt/csw/bin/emacs .  It seems to
be mostly compatible with my .emacs .  It doesn't like emacs-21's
.emacs-places, though.

2.  I installed emacs-22 on wand-dell326, my systems-managed Windows XP
machine. It worked fine, except that it couldn't find softgrid's cygwin
(not surprising).

3.  I then installed cygwin into c:/cygwin, as usual.  I could do this
because I'm an administrator on this machine. As with most cygwin installs,
this was an all-day proposition.

4.  Then emacs-22 hung:  it displayed an empty frame, but then did not
respond, and I had to kill it with Task Manager.

5.  If I rename c:/cygwin to c:/cygwin.disabled, emacs-22 works fine (as in
state 2 above).  If I rename it to c:/cygwin, emacs-22 goes to state 4.

6.  Now, however, my emacs-21 (run over softgrid), seems to find cygwin, at
least some of the time.  In particular, I can say M-x grep, and things
work.  M-x shell is giving me something strange that responds to both dir
and ls.

What I'd like is to get emacs-22 working with cygwin.  Any thoughts?

--Mitch