[PRL] Jim Waldo seminar at Harvard TODAY

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Nov 28 13:31:50 EST 2007

Sorry for the short notice.  --Mitch

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <colloquium-request at deas.harvard.edu>
Date: Nov 28, 2007 12:00 PM
Subject: Colloquium Digest, Vol 11, Issue 13
To: colloquium at deas.harvard.edu

Initiative in Innovative Computing @ Harvard

Seminar Series

Wednesday, November 28, 2007; 4:00pm

60 Oxford Street, Room 330

Jim Waldo, Distinguished Engineer, Sun Microsystems Labs

Seminar Title:

Parallelism, Distribution, and Scaling On-line Games

Abstract: This talk will discuss Project Darkstar, a server-side framework
for massive multi-player on-line games (MMOs). Darkstar provides a highly
concurrent, distributed infrastructure with a programming model that allows
the game programmer to write as though he or she was working on a single
thread running on a single machine. This can only be done by carefully
restricting the programming model; we will discuss the model and how we use
that model to hide complexity while giving scalability.

Upcoming IIC seminars

Continue to stay up to date with our IIC Seminar Schedule.

Parking is available in the 52 Oxford Street Garage. Please tell the
attendant that you are attending the IIC Seminar.