[PRL] Refactoring EOPL programs with DemeterF

Karl Lieberherr lieber at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Nov 15 13:31:40 EST 2007

Hi Mitch:

As I mentioned, Bryan has developed DemeterF and refactored many of your
elegant EOPL programs in an even more elegant way.
This is the culmination of a vision that already Shriram had: there ought to
be a better functional way to use traversal specifications.
That is why Shriram coauthored a paper with us on functional visitors a few
years ago. Since Matthias (and mine) 711, Bryan has polished the
functional visitors and DemeterF is the current form.

Here is a type checker that is written in DemeterF style:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/lieber/courses/csg111/f07/machprobs/f07/mp7/mp7/extra/TypeChecker.java

It is actually part of MP 7:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/lieber/courses/csg111/f07/machprobs/mp7-new.html

Thank you for passing on all the machine problems. Very happily I used many
of them. But some I rewrote
with Jesse's and Bryan's help.

The paper in draft form is here:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/research/demeter/biblio/func-trav-comb.html