[PRL] Fwd: TP Msg. #798 Don't Waste Your Summer

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Fri May 18 13:47:16 EDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rick Reis <reis at stanford.edu>
Date: May 18, 2007 1:20 PM
Subject: TP Msg. #798 Don't Waste Your Summer
To: tomorrows-professor at lists.stanford.edu

Reminder: You can comment on this or any past posting by going to:
http://amps-tools.mit.edu/tomprofblog/
                         desk-top faculty development one hundred times a
year

                        Over 25,000 subscribers
                        Over 775 postings
                        Over 650 academic institutions
                        Over 100 countries

                               Sponsored by
             THE STANFORD UNIVERSITY CENTER FOR TEACHING AND LEARNING
                         http://ctl.stanford.edu

                 An archive of all past postings (with a two week delay) can
be found at:
                 http://ctl.stanford.edu/Tomprof/postings.html

                *       *       *       *       *
Folks:

The posting below looks at some key questions to ask as many of us prepare
for the coming summer .  It is by Mary McKinney, Ph.D. of Successful
Academic Coaching and it appeared in the June 27, 2005 issue of The
Successful Academic News. Please visit Mary's web site at
http://www.successfulacademic.com for additional tenure track tips and
dissertation writing strategies. email: mckinney at successfulacademic.com.
Copyright (c) 2000-07 Mary McKinney, Ph.D. - All Rights Reserved. Reprinted
with permission.

Regards,

Rick Reis
reis at stanford.edu
UP NEXT: Defending the Community College Equity Agenda (review)

                        Tomorrow's Academic Careers

        ----------------------------------- 819 words
--------------------------------

                        Don't Waste Your Summer

A friend of mine likes to wear her favorite slogan on a button. It says:

"Take my advice, I'm not using it!"

Hmmm. That's a familiar habit - always giving, but rarely heeding my own
advice.

For example, I became an academic coach because many years ago I was a
struggling, long-distance dissertator. After moving far from my university,
and lacking the support of my peers and committee, I found it very hard to
make quick progress on my Ph.D. Instead, I read every book I could find on
writing a dissertation and overcoming procrastination.

As they say, "Those That Don't Do, Teach." A few years after I earned my own
Ph.D., I started dissertation support groups to spread the techniques I'd
struggled to learn. I found that I loved working with bright, talented and
introspective academics. And the more I practiced the skills I taught, the
easier it was to sit down, focus, and write.

I continued reading books on time management, organizational skills, and the
challenges of putting pen to paper. I still read these books avidly, in
part, because I'm a disorganized person. (Just ask my clients who get their
bills a month after the fact, or my therapy patients who are accustomed to
starting sessions 5 minutes late!)

So, based on extensive reading, and years of trying to become more
productive, here are a few of my suggestions for making the best use of your
summer. Ask yourself the following questions:

1) What is your number one priority for the summer?
The first key to using your time wisely is setting goals. Therefore, stop
scattering your efforts without a clear focus and make sure that you
accomplish the most important tasks to further your career.

If you are having trouble choosing your number one priority, there are two
helpful questions to ask:
What will make you feel the best when you complete it?
What are you most anxious about?

Follow your instincts as well as your intellect. Focusing on your wishes and
anxieties to determine your goals will keep you from spending hours
preparing the syllabus for your fall class when you should be writing an
article for publication.

2) How are you going to carve out time?
To accomplish your top priority, you need to free up hours that may not be
available during the rest of the year. Except for those of us who are
teaching summer classes, and trying to cram six months worth of material
into six weeks, most of us have more flexibility in our schedules during the
summer.

To make sure that you avoid over-commitments and unfocused business, ask
these questions:

What are you going to let go to make more time for your number one project?
Are there less pressing projects and tasks that you can put on hold to gain
hours, and mental space, for your top priority?

3) How can you increase your motivation?
When your summer deadline is only in your own mind, it is easy to shift your
schedule and end up with a personal "incomplete" in August. Therefore, I
tell the faculty and students I work with to "go public" to increase their
sense of accountability. When you announce your goals and timeline to other
people, you increase the likelihood that you'll follow through (if only to
avoid embarrassment.)

Who are you going to promise that you'll meet your goals?
Tell your partner, your friends, your colleagues, your advisor that you'll
have a draft of your project complete before the fall semester begins.

With these tips in mind, I started thinking (as I usually do) about how I
could set and achieve my own goals.

What would make me feel best?
I would like to finish an e-book that has languished on the back burner for
six months while other writing projects, especially this newsletter, have
taken priority. By the way, the working title of my project is: "Why the
Dissertation is Hard and What to Do About It." I hope that it will interest
many of you.

How am I going to carve out more time to write this summer? Well, my four
young children are too young to send to Siberia, and I have an ongoing
commitment to my coaching clients, so my best option is to reduce the time I
spend on this newsletter (much as I love writing it).

How can I "go public" and increase my own sense of accountability?
That's what this newsletter is really about: I hereby declare that my weekly
missives will now be sent bi-weekly. Furthermore, let me announce that my
e-book will be finished by the end of August and available on my web site by
October 1rst. (Gasp! I'm already feeling motivated to get to work.)

Thanks for letting me use you to increase my motivation and my chances of
achieving my top goal for the summer.

Let's go for it!

Mary McKinney, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Academic Coach
www.SuccessfulAcademic.com
email: mckinney at successfulacademic.com
(c) 2005 Mary McKinney, All rights reserved.
NOTE: Anyone can SUBSCRIBE to the Tomorrows-Professor Mailing List by going
to: