[PRL] Alan Kay seems to have gotten funded at NSF

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Feb 3 11:04:27 EST 2007

>From LtU.  The proposal is worth looking at.  We should find out what
program funded him.  --Mitch

Steps Toward The Reinvention of Programming

Proposal to NSF – Granted on August 31st 2006
(pdf)<http://irbseminars.intel-research.net/AlanKayNSF.pdf>

This opens the exciting possibility of creating a practical working system
that is also its own model – a whole system from the end-users to the metal
that could be extremely compact (we think under 20,000 lines of code) yet
practical enough to serve both as a highly useful end-user system and a
"system to learn about systems". I.e. the system could be compact,
comprehensive, clear, high-level, and understandable enough to
be an "Exploratorium of itself". It would:
- Create a test-bed environment for experiments into "the programming of the
future" for end-users and pros