[PRL] "Threads Considered Harmful" in the news

Paul A. Steckler steck at stecksoft.com
Tue Jan 23 10:11:06 EST 2007

> He suggests the only solution is to stop bolting parallelism onto languages
and components--instead design new deterministically-composable components and
languages.
> Haskell has quite the following among the alpha geeks we know (e.g., the Pugs
project), and OCaml has a small but growing group of devotees.

Both Haskell (read: GHC) and OCaml have threads whose interactions
need not be deterministic.  That said, a MapReduce/Sawzall implementation
in Haskell would be a natural fit.

-- Paul