[PRL] Fwd: TALK:Friday 10-6-06 Computer Architecture Research at Microsoft

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Sep 25 13:20:46 EDT 2006

Verrry Interrresting...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: CSAIL Event Calendar <eventcalendar at csail.mit.edu>
Date: Sep 25, 2006 9:16 AM
Subject: TALK:Friday 10-6-06 Computer Architecture Research at Microsoft
To: seminars at csail.mit.edu

Computer Architecture Research at Microsoft
Speaker: Chuck Thacker
Speaker Affiliation: Microsoft
Host: Arvind
Host Affiliation: CSG-CSAIL-MIT

Date: 10-6-2006
Time: 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Refreshments: 2:45 PM
Location: Stata - Kiva - G449

Computer Architecture Research at Microsoft
Abstract:

Traditionally, Microsoft Research has concentrated its efforts in areas
related to software.  Changes in technology and the industry have recently
caused us to add traditional computer architecture to our research
agenda.  In this talk, I will discuss the things that led us to this
decision, and some of the topics we plan to address.

Bio:

Chuck Thacker has spent thirty-five years in several industrial research
labs.  He joined Xerox PARC in 1970, where he was responsible for the
hardware of a number of innovative systems, including the Alto, the first
networked personal computer.  In 1983, he joined the DEC Systems Research
Center in Palo Alto, where he was responsible for a number of networking and
computing systems, including the AN1 and AN2 networks and the Firefly
multiprocessor.

He joined Microsoft in 1997 to help establish the Company's Cambridge,
England laboratory. After returning to the U.S. in 1999, he joined the
newly-formed Tablet PC group and managed the design of the first prototypes
of this new device.

Chuck has published extensively, and holds a number of U.S patents in
computer systems and networking. In 1984, he was awarded (with B. Lampson
and R. Taylor) the ACM's Software Systems Award for the development of the
Alto. He is a Distinguished Alumnus of the Computer Science Department of
the University of California, and holds an Honorary Doctorate from the Swiss
Federal Institute of Technology (ETH). He is a member of the IEEE, a fellow
of the ACM, a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and a
member of the National Academy of Engineering, which in 2004 awarded him,
(with A. Kay, B Lampson, and R. Taylor) the Charles Stark Draper prize.

Relevant URL(S):
For more information please contact: Sally O. Lee, 3-6837,
sally at csail.mit.edu