[PRL] Plants in search of a good home

Philippe Meunier meunier at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Jun 28 20:07:12 EDT 2006

Since I'm going to leave in a few weeks (July 30th to be precise) I'm
looking for one or more persons to take care of my soon-to-be-orphaned
plants.  There's five of them:

- One purple iris.  It produces a lot of big green leaves and blooms
whenever it feels like, which has been once in four years so far
(maybe it needs more sun, or less water, or more water...)  The
flowers are deep purple, as can be seen right now (though the current
flower has dried before reaching its full size).  I water it 2-3 times
a week.

- One parlor palm, which officially belongs to Matthias but has been
under my care for long enough that I can rightfully claim it mine
before giving it to someone else.  It's been looking the way it is
ever since I started taking care of it 3-4 years ago, no real changes.
It regularly blooms (three times so far) with little yellow flowers
showing up all at once on panicles.  I water it 2-3 times a week.
http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Chamaedorea/elegans.html (from the
pictures I believe I have a female one)

- One mini red rose bush.  I bought it at the same time as the iris,
four years ago.  There were originally three bushes in the pot but the
other two died fairly quickly.  The remaining bush has had its ups and
downs over the past years.  It blooms with really nice red flowers but
it needs to be watered quite regularly (I forgot to ask someone to
water my plants when I went back to Europe for two weeks in February
and that rose bush almost died, which is the reason why it doesn't
look that healthy right now - it's usually doing much better than
that).  I water it 2-3 times a week but I'm more careful with it than
with the other plants.  For example I make sure I always water it on
Fridays so it has water over the week-end.
http://www.gifttree.com/show.product.php?product_id=5382&version_id=1&AID=10273638&PID=1305945

- One christmas cactus, origins unknown.  A long time ago it used to
be on Dale's desk in Egan where Dale shamelessly abandoned it to its
fate when we moved, at which time I rescued it.  It's extremely
resistant (what with being a cactus and having survived Dale's care
(or lack thereof...))  It blooms every year with lots of great bright
pink flowers.  I water it once a week.
http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week156.shtml

- One pothos.  It used to belong to Paul Graunke, then John Clements
took care of it after Paul left, and I've been taking care of it
pretty much since we moved to WVH I think.  It never changes.  I can
only assume it makes a few new leaves from time to time to replace the
ones that dry and fall.  I think it's pretty much indestructible.
I've never seen it bloom though.  From time to time I just pour water
on it until there's a good amount of stagnant water at the bottom.
http://green.reinyday.com/housep/pothos.html

You can have one, two, three, four, or all of them.  As an incentive
you'll get a free beautiful green plastic watering can, a free bottle
of fertilizer, and an free insecticide sprayer bottle if you take all
the plants at once.  If multiple people claim the same plants I'll
organize a mud fight to decide ownership.

Philippe